The German company has released the redesigned 2017 Mercedes-Benz SL roadster. The car presentation took place at the Los Angeles Auto Show. It is possible to make an order of this model since the beginning of 2016, and by spring the Roadster will go on sale in Europe.
The 2017 SL Roadster Exterior
Externally, the renewed SL has changed significantly. The updates especially touched the front of the car, which now resembles the sports “AMG GT”. The models proved to be very similar by the LED optics, the more rounded headlights stretched out along the edges of the wings.
The radiator grille has received a brand star, which is placed on the massive horizontal chrome strip. The bumpers’ shapes have also been changed, now they are maintained in a more angular style. The air intake structure has been conveniently set on the car’s front, which took almost the entire area of the bumper.
The rectangular-shaped exhaust pipes are placed on the sides of the rear diffuser. At first sight the car appearance leaves a lasting impression. The novelty has acquired a streamlined and very elegant exterior that perfectly affects its aerodynamic performance.
The Overall Dimensions
The roadster has got a retractable hardtop, which performs the transformation cycle in 20 seconds. It can be operated during the ride only at the speed not higher than 40 km /h. The dimensions of the new car are as follows:
- The width of the model reaches 1 877 mm;
- The length corresponds to 4622 mm;
- The height of the novelty does not exceed 1315 mm;
- The wheelbase is equal to 2585 mm.
The Mercedes-Benz Roadster Interior
The 2017 Mercedes roadster interior is similar to the cockpit of a modern aircraft. It is stuffed with a huge number of electronic devices, sensors and various switches. A big screen of the “COMAND Online” multimedia system is elegantly installed in the center console.
The electrical system selector and the air conditioner unit can be found down between the tunnel and the center console. The steering wheel has a non-standard shape, the slightly flattened lower part of which may seem inconvenient for some drivers.
The front seats of the roadster are very comfortable. They are distinguished by excellent facilities during getting in and out of the vehicle, as they are equipped with the different direction adjustments and the positions may be entered into memory.
The dashboard has combined the dials arranged in a slightly recessed “wells” along with a rich color display. It is also worth noting, that the quality of finishing materials, such as leather and carbon fiber, is really high grade. The ergonomics of its interior is also at the height, as all the devices are easily reached by the driver.
Even in the basic version, this model will offer the driver a large number of electronic assistants, useful features, a rearview camera, as well as the heated seats, windows, mirrors and other systems.
The 2017 SL Roadster Specifications
The technical equipment of the car surprises with an unusual variety of configurations. The front suspension of the 2017 SL Roadster has a double wishbone design, the rear one is characterized by the five-link structure, of course, the axis are independent of each other. The novelty will be available in four different versions:
- The Mercedes SL 400 mounted by the three-liter six-cylinder V-shaped power unit producing 367 hp, the 9G-Tronic nine-speed automatic transmission, accelerating to the first “hundred” in 5 seconds.
- The Mercedes SL 500 powered by the 4.7-liter V8 engine with a capacity of 455 hp, achieving the acceleration from standstill to 100 km/h in 4.4 seconds.
- The “supercharged” SL 63 AMG version will be equipped with the twin turbo V8 engine, generating 585 hp.
- The Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG (the “top-end” modification of the model) will feature the twin turbo six-liter V12 motor with 630 hp. The two AMG versions are equipped with the 7G-Tronic Plus seven-speed automatic gearbox with impressive 4 seconds acceleration to hundreds.
All those who wish to purchase a standard roadster will have to sacrifice about $105 000, while the “top-end” version will cost $280 000. For the domestic market the price tag on this novelty has also been announced. It starts from $90 000.